Volunteering or Employment With Us
Volunteers are at the heart of Comox Valley Senior Support. We are able to help Comox Valley seniors because of the incredible contingent of caring, generous volunteers who generously donate their time, energy and expertise. We currently have about 140 volunteers working on the front line of our programs and services phone or virtual visiting seniors, facilitating support groups, helping a senior fill in an application for benefits, helping a senior with a housing issue, providing information and suggesting possible resources relevant to an issue a senior is dealing with, and so forth. Seniors approach us with a wide range of questions and issues and we always try to help.
A successful volunteer program must offer meaningful volunteer work. It must also offer adequate training and ongoing support and recognition for volunteers. We endeavour to all of this. Our goal is to make the volunteer experience with CV Senior Support an excellent one. In addition to opportunities to learn and fine tune support skills, we work within a team-based system where all volunteers have a support person assigned to them. This means there is always someone to consult or debrief with. We also like to have some fun together and we have a few social events a year so this can happen.
There are a number of different ways to volunteer with us. These include direct support to seniors via any of our programs, working in our office, serving on our Board of Directors, fundraising, conducting small research projects, supporting caregivers, shopping for homebound seniors, facilitating groups, and assisting with volunteer training. It all begins with a phone call or an email to express interest in volunteering. All prospective volunteers must participate in our training program and undergo a criminal records check. Volunteer training is conducted on an ongoing basis.
The Society cannot operate without its volunteers and we are lucky to have so many wonderful, generous people involved. If you would like to join us as a volunteer, give us a call at 250 871 5940.We would love to hear from you.
SENIOR INFORMATION AND ACCESS SUPPORT (SIAS) PROGRAM COORDINATOR (28 hours/week @$21.00/hr)
We are looking for a knowledgeable, energetic person to coordinate our Senior Information and Access Support program (SIAS) including the volunteer team that supports the work of this program. SIAS is essentially a navigation program that helps seniors access systems, information, and non-medical social and outreach supports. SIAS assists seniors with a range of challenges that are not handled by our other programs. This could include help with filling in an application form for benefits, assistance with income tax completion, assistance with wills and advance care planning when an individual cannot receive this assistance in a form that works for them elsewhere, assistance with housing issues, poverty and food security, shopping, problem solving, as well as other requests for assistance. Advocacy can also be a part of SIAS. The program is dynamic and busy. We wish to expand this program to do more of what we already do, as well as add an exciting housing support component: a community seniors’ housing registry that will match a senior who needs shelter with a home owner who can provide this. This senior-focused housing registry will seek rental opportunities that are not currently on the market, but could be, if supports for both the renter and the home owner were available. This housing registry program will be developed and implemented with significant stakeholder consultation and input.
Essential skills to the Program Coordination position include:
- Volunteer recruitment, screening, training, and ongoing volunteer support
- Healthy and forward thinking leadership
- Advertising and promotion; knowledge of social media
- Community networking and engagement
- Ability to embrace a team-based system of working
- Good management abilities; experience with managing budgets
- The ability to problem solve, gauge and manage program risks
- Information gathering and basic research
- Knowledge about the non-medical social challenges of Comox Valley older adults
- Ability to take initiative, work independently as needed, and be fully accountable
- Excellent computer skills that includes knowledge of Microsoft Office software
- Excellent communication skills
Comox Valley Senior Support is a great place to work. We offer flexible working conditions with excellent and meaningful supports to staff and volunteers. This position presents an opportunity to work a part of each week from home if desired. The position is 28 hours per week @ $21.00/hour with a start date of early May. (Independent of this posting will be a contract position to support the Housing Registry initiative. This contract position will be advertised at a later date.)
For more information, please email the office: email@example.com Attention: Executive Director. We will get back to you quickly to answer questions about the position.
To apply: Please send a resume by noon on Friday, April 30, 2021 that highlights your qualifications. Include a well-written covering letter explaining your interest and what you will bring to the program.
Email resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org Attention: Executive Director. No phone calls to the office please. Incomplete resumes will not be considered.
Volunteer Training and Current Volunteer Opportunities
We can only offer Zoom facilitated volunteer training at this time. Our next training is in early May, 2021
If you would like to volunteer with us, and you do not wish to participate in a Zoom training, let us know. We will find a way for you to get the information you need and we will happily put you to work supporting a senior.
Please call the office for full information, or to register: 250-871-5940; or email: email@example.com
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Phone Call Program: weekly phone call to an isolated senior to see how they are doing and engage in conversation
- Caregiver Phone Support: weekly check in with a caregiver to listen, encourage and support.
- Caregiver Support Group Facilitator: facilitate a once per month Zoom-based support group for caregivers. Health care/social work/experience as a caregiver backgrounds preferred. Call or email the office for details
- Fundraiser: If you would like to support the Society through fundraising, you are invited to join our dynamic Fundraising Committee. Yes, fundraising can be fun and the current committee members make it so.
- Senior Information and Access Support (SIAS) program volunteer: help a senior with forms, income tax completion, housing issues, advocacy, systems navigation
- CV Senior Support Board of Directors: AGM is on April 27th, 2021 and we are searching for people who have a keen interest in the work and governance of the Society and who would like to contribute their time and expertise in this way. Of particular interest is the position of Treasurer, but we are interested in hearing from you in general. Email board chair, Jenny Gohl, firstname.lastname@example.org