Volunteering or Employment With Us
Volunteers are at the heart of Comox Valley Senior Support. We are able to help Comox Valley seniors because of the incredible contingent of caring, generous volunteers who generously donate their time, energy and expertise. We currently have about 140 volunteers working on the front line of our programs and services phone or virtual visiting seniors, facilitating support groups, helping a senior fill in an application for benefits, helping a senior with a housing issue, providing information and suggesting possible resources relevant to an issue a senior is dealing with, and so forth. Seniors approach us with a wide range of questions and issues and we always try to help.
A successful volunteer program must offer meaningful volunteer work. It must also offer adequate training and ongoing support and recognition for volunteers. We endeavour to all of this. Our goal is to make the volunteer experience with CV Senior Support an excellent one. In addition to opportunities to learn and fine tune support skills, we work within a team-based system where all volunteers have a support person assigned to them. This means there is always someone to consult or debrief with. We also like to have some fun together and we have a few social events a year so this can happen.
There are a number of different ways to volunteer with us. These include direct support to seniors via any of our programs, working in our office, serving on our Board of Directors, fundraising, conducting small research projects, supporting caregivers, shopping for homebound seniors, facilitating groups, and assisting with volunteer training. It all begins with a phone call or an email to express interest in volunteering. All prospective volunteers must participate in our training program and undergo a criminal records check. Volunteer training is conducted on an ongoing basis.
The Society cannot operate without its volunteers and we are lucky to have so many wonderful people involved. If you would like to join us as a volunteer, give us a call at 250 871 5940.Wwe would love to hear from you.
Executive Director Position
We are beginning a search for a new Executive Director. The individual we seek will possess the following skills and experience:
1. Excellent knowledge of the social services sector. Extra points will be added if the candidate has successfully lead a social services agency at the executive level. (Senior Manager or Executive Director);
2. Excellent knowledge of seniors’ issues;
3. The ability to work well with community partners and to maintain the strong relationships we have developed;
4. Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
5. A history of successful grant writing and other fund raising initiatives;
6. The willingness and ability to work well within an organization that values a relatively ‘flat’ structure in terms of hierarchy;
7. Proven ability to work well with a non-profit Board of Directors;
8. Sound skills in the financial management of a non-profit Society;
9. Ability to work well with and support a large group of volunteers, including training new volunteers;
10. Proven commitment to supporting staff and maintaining a healthy workplace environment;
11. Excellent computer skills.
The position is part time at 21 hours per week. The wage is modest with a range between $24 and $26/hr depending on experience. If you are interested and you have the qualifications sought, please submit a resume as well as a covering letter that clearly identifies how you meet the profile sought.
No resumes will be accepted without the required covering letter. The expected start time is early 2021.
No phone calls to the office, please. Email your application to: Jenny Gohl, CV Senior Support Board Chair, email@example.com
Volunteer Training and Current Volunteer Opportunities
We can only offer Zoom facilitated volunteer training at this time. Our next training is in early January, 2021
This will be an evening Zoom training limited to 10 participants. (6:30 - 8:30) We are keeping an interest list at this time.
If you would like to volunteer with us, and you do not wish to participate in a Zoom training, let us know. We will find a way for you to get the information you need and we will happily put you to work supporting a senior.
Please call the office for full information: 250-871-5940; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Phone Call Program: weekly phone call to an isolated senior to see how they are doing and engage in conversation
- Caregiver Phone Support: weekly check in with a caregiver to listen, encourage and support.
- Caregiver Support Group Facilitator: facilitate a once per month Zoom-based support group for caregivers. Health care/social work/experience as a caregiver backgrounds preferred. Call or email the office for details
- Fundraiser: If you would like to support the Society through fundraising, you are invited to join our dynamic Fundraising Committee. Yes, fundraising can be fun and the current committee members make it so.