Volunteering or Employment With Us
Volunteers are at the heart of Comox Valley Senior Support. We are able to help Comox Valley seniors because of the incredible contingent of caring, generous volunteers who generously donate their time, energy and expertise. We currently have about 140 volunteers working on the front line of our programs and services phone or virtual visiting seniors, facilitating support groups, helping a senior fill in an application for benefits, helping a senior with a housing issue, providing information and suggesting possible resources relevant to an issue a senior is dealing with, and so forth. Seniors approach us with a wide range of questions and issues and we always try to help.
A successful volunteer program must offer meaningful volunteer work. It must also offer adequate training and ongoing support and recognition for volunteers. We endeavour to all of this. Our goal is to make the volunteer experience with CV Senior Support an excellent one. In addition to opportunities to learn and fine tune support skills, we work within a team-based system where all volunteers have a support person assigned to them. This means there is always someone to consult or debrief with. We also like to have some fun together and we have a few social events a year so this can happen.
There are a number of different ways to volunteer with us. These include direct support to seniors via any of our programs, working in our office, serving on our Board of Directors, fundraising, conducting small research projects, supporting caregivers, shopping for homebound seniors, facilitating groups, and assisting with volunteer training. It all begins with a phone call or an email to express interest in volunteering. All prospective volunteers must participate in our training program and undergo a criminal records check. Volunteer training is conducted on an ongoing basis.
The Society cannot operate without its volunteers and we are lucky to have so many wonderful, generous people involved. If you would like to join us as a volunteer, give us a call at 250 871 5940.We would love to hear from you.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Friendly Visitor Program – weekly phone call or visit to an isolated senior to see how they are doing and engage in conversation
- Caregiver Support – weekly check in with a caregiver to listen, encourage and support or train as a backup group facilitator for the in-person support groups for caregivers.
- Senior Information and Access Support (SIAS) program volunteer: help a senior with forms, income tax completion, housing issues, advocacy, systems navigation
- Fundraiser: If you would like to support the Society through fundraising, you are invited to join our dynamic Fundraising Committee. Yes, fundraising can be fun and the current committee members make it so.
- CV Senior Support Board of Directors – We are always looking for people who have a keen interest in the collaborative work and consultative governance of the Society and who would like to contribute their time and expertise.